Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility


01226 729 896


Preferred language

Accessibility Tools

We Help All We Can

There may be times when a GP cannot take on a new patient, for example if they’re full or you’re not within their geographic boundary, in which case you can look at others in your local area. You’ll find a full list of Barnsley practices on our GP practices page.

You don’t need proof of ID to register with a GP, but it helps if you have one or more of the following:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • HC2 certificate
  • Rough sleepers' identity badge
  • Hostel or accommodation registration or mail forwarding letter
We Help All We Can

If you're experiencing homelessness, you can give a temporary address, such as a friend's address, a day centre or the GP surgery address.

If you’re ill while away from home, or not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from your local GP practice for 14 days. After that you need to register as a temporary or permanent patient. You can register as a temporary resident for up to three months.

The ‘Introduction to the NHS’ factsheet for newly arrived individuals seeking asylum is available in different languages through or from your GP.

If you support someone with a learning disability, you can make sure they have good access to healthcare by supporting them to:

  • be on the GP learning disability register
  • ask their GP practice to record additional information on their summary care record
  • have the right health checks, screening ad immunisations
  • carry out the actions in their health action plan
Chat About Issues Dementia Friends

All local practices are registered Dementia Friends – an initiative led by the Alzheimer’s Society – and each practice has a Dementia Champion.

If you have accessibility requirements or need help filling in forms, make sure to let your local GP surgery know.

You can find out more about registering with a GP on the NHS website.